Check Your Pockets, Rare 1970 Error Quarter Could Be Worth More Than $35K
The US mint released a batch of rare error quarters in 1970 that are worth a fortune today!
One specimen selling is going for $35K on the popular auction site Ebay. The quarter being sold on Ebay was part of a proof set that was auctioned off by the state of California, but there are also circulated specimens that are out there, floating around in someones pocket change! Better check you pockets before buying your morning coffee!
[phpbay keywords=”1970 error quarter” num=”1″ siteid=”1″ sortorder=”BestMatch” minprice=”30000″ templatename=”singleInlinePost” paging=”true”]
Circulated specimens have fetched more than $5K on the open market and are not as rare as you might think, so seriously, check your pocket change. Aside from this error coin there are hundreds of other mint error coins, the majority of which are still in circulation, that are worth big bucks!
What makes the 1970 error quarter so valuable? Instead of being minted on standard US quarter blanks, the 1970 error quarter was minted over a 1941 Canadian quarter. The error is visible on the back of the quarter, above the word dollar. In that location is the faint outline of the date 1941.
This isn’t the only error coin out there ripe for the picking either. Ever since it’s inception, the US Mints has unintentionally created and released into circulation error coins. Many of which are worth a small fortune if found. These are the most notable and most valuable error coins that can be found today in your pocket change, if your lucky.
- 1969-S Lincoln Cent Doubled Die Obverse Error: Clear doubling of the entire head side except for the mint mark Value: $65,000 up.
- 1983-P or D Lincoln Cent on pure copper blank Error: Weight of 3.1 grams. Starting in 1983, it was made of 97.5% zinc and plated with a thin copper coating, with a weight of 2.5 grams. Value: $15,000 up.
- 1992-P Lincoln Cent Close AM On Reverse Error: The AM in AMERICA on the reverse is clearly separated in the Wide variety. In the rare variety for these dates, the letters AM are very close or touching. Value: $5,000 up.
- 1976-D Washington Quarter Doubled Die Obverse Error: Strong doubling in all letters of “LIBERTY” Value: $1,000 in perfect condition.
- 1970-S Lincoln Cent Large Date Doubled Die Obverse Error: Extremely strong doubling on the date, “LIBERTY”, and “IN GOD WE TRUST”. Value: $750.
- 1968-D Washington Quarter Doubled Die Reverse Error: Boldly doubled letters of “UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.” Value: $475 up.
- 1965 Washington Quarter Doubled Die Obverse Error: Very bold doubled letters in “IN GOD WE TRUST” Value: $475 in close to perfect condition.
- 1972-P Lincoln Cent Doubled Die Obverse I-O-I Error: Very dramatic doubling on date, “IN GOD WE TRUST”, and “LIBERTY” Value: $240 close to uncirculated condition.
- 1970-D Washington Quarter Doubled Die Obverse Error: Strong doubling of the date and “IN GOD WE TRUST” Value: $200 in perfect condition.
- 1995-D Lincoln Cent Doubled Die Obverse Error: Bold doubling of “IN GOD WE TRUST” Value: $175 in perfect condition.
The errors in most of these coins are very slight and hard to see with the naked eye, so if your serious about finding these coins you may want to get yourself a magnifying glass. there are countless others, so keep your eyes pealed and always check your pocket change.